Standards for Meaningful Family Engagement
Standard 1: Parent/Caregiver Education Program
Families are supported with parenting and child-rearing skills, understanding child and adolescent development, and setting home conditions that support children as students at each age and grade level. Assist schools in understanding families.
Standard 2: Communication with Parent/Caregiver
Families and school staff engage in regular, two-way, meaningful communication about student learning.
Standard 3: Parent Volunteering Program
Families are actively involved as volunteers and audiences at the school or in other locations to support students and school programs.
Standard 4: Learning at Home
Families are involved with their children in learning activities at home, including homework and other curriculum-linked activities and decisions.
Standard 5: Shared Power and Decision Making
Families and school staff are equal partners in decisions that affect children and families and together inform, influence, and create policies, practices, and programs.
Standard 6: Community Collaboration & Resources
Coordinate resources and services for families, students, and the school with businesses, agencies, and other groups, and provide services to the community.
Through meaningful family engagement, we envision a transformed school system that has directly confronted and actively addressed inequity and injustice so that every OUSD student graduates and becomes a fully engaged member of our community.
The mission of meaningful family engagement is to inspire, engage, and support the students, families, and communities of OUSD to become authentic co-owners of our schools who share responsibility for every student becoming college and career ready. Through community organizing, and by building OUSD capacity, we will expand participation in learning, leadership, and advocacy that results in high levels of
academic achievement and life opportunities for individual students, and for entire school communities.
• We value the unique and diverse experiences of families in our community.
• We value engaging with students and families with love, care, compassion, and respect.
• We value students as leaders and agents of change. We value family members as leaders and agents of
• We value authentic democratic decision-making where students, families, and communities are equal partners.
• We value self-determination with community and family empowerment.
• We value bridging OUSD staff with students, families, and communities to engage in healthy struggle for positive change.
Please use the links below to download the Standards as a printable-PDF or translated versions.